Thursday, October 10, 2013

Indian Bartenders - Raising the Bar with Varun Sudhakar, World Class Finalist 2013


Tulleeho Salutes India’s upcoming bar talent. First up is Varun Sudhakar – World Class Finalist 2013

Food and Beverage Supervisor @ Four Seasons Hotel, Mumbai
I am from Kerala, did my Hotel management from IHM Trivandrum. I have been working for the last 5 years as a flair bartender, mixologist and now as a bar supervisor. I originally wanted to be a chef!
World Class Finalist!
World class was a dream come true for me, to experience the ultimate bartending competition and to stand next to the best in the world and also to meet people whom I have only read about in books, moreover to know the world and its bar culture and to make more friends.
What inspired you to make a career in Bartending and Mixology?
Inspiration came through a bet with my best friend, which was to learn flair. I got in to the bar through flair bartending and eventually learned the tricks of the trade through Youtube videos and books and long hours of practice. Nicolas St Jean from France a freestyle flair bartender inspired me.   Mixology was put in to my head by people I met on the way who shared their knowledge and skills. 
 With Shawn D'Souza & Tulleeho's Rohan Jelkie
Guests Rock!
A guest bought me a bottle of Aperol from Italy when I said I have not seen it but know about it through books.

Great Cocktail Service
I listen to guests, ask them what their taste is, try to mix their favorite ingredients with some flair, so they are kept entertained, listen to the ice (!) and serve the drinks with a good garnish and a smile.  I feel completely locked into that drink till the time that it’s served.
I have never felt guests expect any thing else rather than a drink with a smile and happiness surrounding it.
Role Model?
I believe in sharing knowledge and experience. When I went for the competition (World Class) I was helped by a lot of people around me, some whom I knew, and some I didn’t.  Will be giving support to anyone who loves to be a bartender and wants to compete.



Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Bar Bundle said...

Thank you , Tulleeho for such a effort to raisw the bar and the bartenders,
Cheers , Varun

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home